Subscribe to our RSS feed

Frequently Asked Questions on Immigration/Visas/Employment and General entry to the Bahamas

Section 1 - Public Holidays

Back to top

Section 2 - Working in the Bahamas

1. How do I obtain a work permit?

Work permits must be applied for and obtained from the Department of Immigration Nassau, Hawkins Hill, PO Box N-831, Nassau, The Bahamas, Tel: 001 242 322 7531 Fax: 001 242 326 0977

2. Can I apply for a work permit while I am in The Bahamas?

No; work permit applications from persons already in the Bahamas would not be entertained. Applications must be made while you are outside the Bahamas.

3. What is the criteria for a non-Bahamian person to obtain employment in The Bahamas?

The Bahamas is a small developing country and Government regulations ensure that employment may be only offered to non - Bahamians in posts for which there are no suitably qualified Bahamians. In order to obtain employment as a non - Bahamian, the following criteria must be met:

An employer who has a vacant post is required to advertise the post locally. If he is unsuccessful in filling the post locally, he may apply to the Immigration Board for permission to recruit outside the country. He must also obtain a certificate from the Department of Labour indicating that a Bahamian is not available to fill the position.

When the prospective expatriate employee has been contacted, the employer must apply for a permit which is issued by the Immigration Board. An application will not be entertained if the prospective employee was already in the Bahamas, having entered as a visitor. Permits are issued for specific posts and the renewal of a permit is not automatic. Each application would be considered on its merits.

Employers may apply for permits for longer periods than one year in respect of certain key personnel on contract. Such contracts should indicate that their renewal would be subject to obtaining the applicant's replacement within a stipulated period.

Fees of varying amounts up to $15,000 (for senior managerial and professional people) are charged if a permit is granted. The same amount is payable upon renewal of the permit annually. If approval is granted the employer will be asked to enter into a bond equivalent to the cost of repatriating the employee.

4. I have specialist skills. Which Ministry or Department should I contact to enquire about the availability of jobs in the Bahamas?

Qualified persons interested in employment with the Government of The Bahamas should write to respective Ministry / Department as follows:

Nurses, Doctors and Kindred Services - Ministry of Health,
P.O. Box N-3730, Nassau, The Bahamas Tel: 242 322 7425

Teachers, Professors - Ministry of Education,
P.O. Box N-3913, Nassau, The Bahamas Tel: 242 322 8140 Fax: 242 322 8491

Legal and Judicial Services - The Legal Department,
P.O. Box N-3007, Nassau, The Bahamas Tel: 242 322 1141

Public Works (Water Supplies) - Ministry of Public Works,
P.O. Box N-8156, Nassau, The Bahamas, Tel: 242 322 - 4831

Radio and Telephone Technicians - Bahamas Telecommunications Corporation,
P.O. Box N-3048, Nassau The Bahamas Tel: 242 323 4911

Administrative, Clerical and Financial - Department of Labour,
P.O. Box N-3915, Nassau, The Bahamas Tel: 242 325 - 6511

5. How do I apply for a Police Character Certificate?

Please visit the Government of The Bahamas' website at:



Back to top

Section 3 - Money Matters

1. What is the exchange rate of the Bahamian dollar?

The American dollar and the Bahamian dollar operate a system of parity where $1(USD) = $1(BSD)

2. What currency can I use in The Bahamas?

The Bahamian dollar is the legal tender in The Bahamas; the American dollar is the most accessible currency to obtain from a bank or a bureau de change outside of The Bahamas and is widely accepted throughout the Bahamas Islands as both the Bahamian dollar and American dollar are used interchangeably.

3. Can I leave The Bahamas with Bahamian money?

The currency of The Bahamas is restricted; therefore it is illegal to depart the country with more than $200 Bahamian dollars in your possession.

4. Can I use traveler's cheques in The Bahamas?

Internationally known traveler's cheques in dollar denominations may be cashed almost anywhere.

5. What hours can I do my banking?

Banks in New Providence and Grand Bahama are open from 09:30 to 15:00 Monday to Thursday and on Fridays until 17:00, however, on the Family Islands service is often very limited.

6. Can I use credit and debit cards in The Bahamas?

Yes; major credit cards and most debit cards are acceptable for payment throughout the Islands. In addition, most ATMs on the Islands will offer cash advances from your cards subject to a small fee.

Back to top

Section 4 - General Immigration and Entry Questions

1. I know that I do not require a visa to enter the Bahamas - what documentation should I have in my possession to enter?


1b. Must I have a biometric or machine readable passport to enter The Bahamas?

Machine readable or biometric passports are not needed at this point in time for entry to The Bahamas.

2. If I am a permanent resident of the us (a green card Holder), what documents do I need to travel to The Bahamas?

Green card holders do not require visas to visit The Bahamas. They should have a travel document that is valid for six months from the date of departure from The Bahamas; sufficient funds to finance their trip; onward or return tickets to leave The Bahamas and proof of accommodation.

3. What forms of ID does a British passport holder need to take with them on their holiday for entry into The Bahamas?

A valid passport for six months from the date of leaving The Bahamas.

4. Can a non-Bahamian travel to the Bahamas on an expired Passport?

No; passports must have a minimum of six months validity from the date of departure from The Bahamas. In addition, airlines would not let passengers board with expired travel documents.

4b. If I only have four months left on my passport, can I still travel to The Bahamas?

Only British and American passport holders may travel to The Bahamas with less than six months left on their passports. However, British passport holders are advised to have at least six months unexpired on their passports, as they need this requirement for British Immigration purposes. British passport holders that travel to The Bahamas with less than six months validity on their passports would be allowed entry to The Bahamas as long as the duration of their visit to The Bahamas is less than three weeks (21 days).

5. Is it acceptable for a child to be on the mother's or Father's passport to gain entry into The Bahamas?

Yes, this is acceptable. Minors up to the age of sixteen years old may travel to the Bahamas on their parent's passports.

6. What happens if my name appears differently on the passport as it appears on the ticket?

If the name change were due to Marriage, you would need a copy of the marriage certificate with other proof of citizenship (birth certificate, voter's card, driving license etc.) If the name change is due to adoption or legal name change (deed poll) you would need a certified copy of the legal document showing the name change with other proof of citizenship. If you do not have a legal document, you would need a parent or other relative that knew of the name change to have an affidavit sworn to that fact.

7. At what age can children travel unaccompanied to The Bahamas and what documentation should they have to gain entry?

An authorization letter from their parents stating consent has been given for children of sixteen years and under.

8. Are pets allowed to travel to the Bahamas without a period of quarantine?

A valid import permit ($10) is required to import any animal into the Bahamas. Unless otherwise indicated, a permit can only be used once and only during the period specified on the permit. Dogs and cats imported from countries with rabies must be six months and older. To apply for an import permit, please telephone 001 242 325 7502 in the Bahamas or 001 242 325 7503. You may also write to the Director of Agriculture at P O Box N - 3028, Nassau. State your name and address, the type, age and number of animals you wish to import, the country of export and origin, the purpose for importing the animal(s), as well as anticipated date of arrival and destination in the Bahamas.

9. Can I travel to The Bahamas with prescription drugs used as medication for an existing illness?

It is suggested that a letter from the doctor stating that the medication is needed for your health be obtained and presented to Bahamas Customs if questioned.

10. Are there any fees I have to pay to leave the country?

Departure tax is incorporated in your ticket or holiday package and would not be a separate charge.

11. Can I travel to The Bahamas with a criminal record?

Persons with criminal records or persons who are on parole, should write to the Director of Immigration at the following address seeking advice and clarification:

Director of Immigration
Immigration Department
P.O. Box N - 831
Nassau the Bahamas

Tel: 001 242 322 7530
Fax: 001 242 326 0977

The letter should include the following information:

If the intended traveller is on parole, the parole Officer should provide a letter on letterhead stating that there is no objection to letting the intended traveller leave the jurisdiction of parole; the letter should also include the full name, date of birth and place of birth, the nationality, passport number and place of passport issuance. The Bahamas Immigration Department would respond to the initial letter sent directly from the Parole Officer.

12. What can I bring into The Bahamas as far as food items?

You may take any item up to a value of $100USD Duty free. However, no fresh fruit or vegetables allowed. Chicken and beef are taxable. One quart of alcohol including beer and wine and 200 cigarettes and 50 cigars are allowed for persons over 21. Additional information may be obtained from The Comptroller of Customs, Customs House, Thompson Blvd, PO Box N-155, Nassau, The Bahamas. (Tel: 001 242 3264401).

Back to top

Section 5 - Vaccination and Inoculations

1. Are there any vaccinations required?

Most visitors to The Bahamas do not need special vaccinations before entering the country. However, travelers over one year of age must provide a valid yellow fever vaccination certificate if they are coming from the following countries: Angola, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Colombia, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ecuador, French Guiana, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Peru and Sudan. Travelers are required to be vaccinated 10 days prior to entering The Bahamas.

2. What if my doctor recommends that i have certain inoculations?

You are always welcome to seek the advice of a doctor; any decisions to proceed with vaccinations or inoculations would be a personal decision that you have made on the advice of your doctor.

Back to top

Section 6 - Visa Information

1. I have a United Kingdom passport. Do I need to apply for a visa?

United Kingdom passport holders do not require visas to enter the Bahamas for a maximum duration stay of up to eight (8) months.

2. How do I obtain a visa application form?

Visa forms may be obtained by downloading them from our website at, telephoning the visa section on 02076590829 to request an application form, by collecting the applications with guidelines in person from Bahamas House or by email request using the address: Application forms may also be obtained by sending a stamped self addressed envelope to:

The Visa Section
Bahamas High Commission
10 Chesterfield Street, London W1J 5JL

3. What documents do I need to produce for the visa?

There are eight pieces of documentation required:

Applicants are reminded that each application for a visa is examined individually and according to Bahamas government regulations. The high commission reserves the right to refuse any visa, or to request any additional documentation where required. Missing documentation may lead to unsuccessful applications and denial of granting the tourist visa for the Bahamas.

5b. Do I still need to produce all of the documents listed above even though I have applied for a Bahamas visa before?

Yes, even though you may have made an application for a Bahamas visa in the past, you would still need to produce the documents that are outlined above at the time of your new application.

6a. What is the processing time? How long does it take to apply for the visa?

The minimum processing time is 48 hours (two full working days) once we are in receipt of the application. This excludes Bahamian and British holidays. Some applications may take longer to process; therefore it is advisable to apply well in advance of the travel date. Once your visa application has been lodged, you would be informed of the collection date. The maximum time it would take to process a visa is 6 weeks. Successful applications are those, which are issued between 48 hours to 120 hours; full documentation must be submitted in order to be granted a visa within this time frame. Applications that are submitted with missing documentation may lead to the denial of granting the visa. It is strongly urged that applicants view the full list of documentation required for submission listed above. ALL APPLICATIONS ARE TO BE MADE IN PERSON.

6b. How far in advance can I apply for the visa?

Bahamian visas are only valid for a period of three months from the date of issue. Therefore, you should ideally lodge your application in the two weeks before you intend to travel to the Bahamas. E.g. If you intend to travel to the Bahamas in January, your application should be lodged in December. You cannot lodge the application before November, as the visa would expire before you even depart for the Bahamas.

7. How much is the visa fee?

£160 cash or postal order for a three-month single entry

£250 cash or postal order for a three months, six months, and 1 year  multiple entry

Postal orders are to be made payable to: BAHAMAS HIGH COMMISSION 

Please note that we do not accept charge cards, debit or credit cards or personal cheques



8. I want a multiple entry visa. How do I obtain one?

Multiple entry visas are issued to the following persons for periods of three (3) months to one (1) year:

(i) The spouse of a person legally working in The Bahamas
(ii) Persons who maintain houses in The Bahamas
(iii) Persons who maintain bank accounts in The Bahamas
(iv) Persons conducting business in The Bahamas
(v) Crewmen on cruise ships (documentation from cruise line must be presented)
(vi) Students studying at a Bahamian institution
Additional documentation would be requested from the applicant and approval would be sought from the Immigration Department, Nassau, therefore applicants are asked to allow six weeks for processing.

9. For what period is a visa issued?

Single entry visas are issued for three (3) months only.
Multiple entry visas can be issued for three (3), six (6) or twelve (12)  months subject to referral to The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nassau.

10. What size photographs are acceptable for the application form?

Original and passport photos sized 2in x 2in are acceptable (normal UK passport sized photos); the photos may be black and white or colour, but they must not be taken in a photo booth. Applicants should not wear any glasses or hats; ears must be visible in the photo. Photos must NOT be taken at an angle or in profile; the applicant must face forward. Photos should ideally be taken on the day of the application or at least recently taken within three weeks.

11. If I am a permanent resident of the UK do I still require a visa to enter The Bahamas?

Visas are issued based on nationality (i.e. the passport that you hold that will be used for entry to The Bahamas); therefore, yes, visas are required to enter the Bahamas, even if you do have leave to remain in the UK or the right of entitlement of abode.

12. I hold a United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland travel document. Would I still need a visa?

Visas for the Bahamas are issued based on the nationality of the applicant; therefore, if your nationality were listed below, as requiring a visa, you would need to make an application to the Bahamas High Commission.

13a) Which nationals require visas to visit the Bahamas?

Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Belarus, Benin, Bhutan, Bosnia, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo(DRC),  Cote D'ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Rep.), Iraq, Jordan, DPR (North) Korea, Kazakhstan,  Krygyztan, Laos, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Macau (Chinese Ppt.), Madagascar, Mauritania, Micronesia, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Palestine, Philippines, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen.

b) Which nationals do not require visas to visit the Bahamas?

American Samoa, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Azores, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Islands, Chile, China (Peoples Rep. Of), Colombia, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Croatia, Curacao, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Fiji, Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Gambia, Galapagos Islands, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltor, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hong Kong (Hksar Or Hk Cof I), Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea-South, Kuwait, Latvia, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Montserrat, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norfolk Islands, Norway, Northern Mariana Islands, Oman, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Pitcairn, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Reunion, Romania, Russia, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent & The Grenadines, Saint Marten, Saint Pierre & Miquelon, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome & Principe, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Tahiti, Tanzania, Tokelau, Trinidad & Tobago, Tonga, Turkey, Turks &Caicos, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States Of America, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Vatican City, Venezuela, Virgin Islands (Us & Uk), Zambia And Zimbabwe.

14. I am a journalist or camera person; would I need a visa or any entry clearance?

If persons were travelling on one of the passports listed above, a visa would be needed. For those persons travelling with passports where visas are not needed, entry clearance would need to be obtained from the Ministry of Tourism in The Bahamas.

The contact details are: MINISTRY OF TOURISM, P.O. BOX N 3701 NASSAU, THE BAHAMAS TEL: 001 242 302 2000 OR 001 242 322 7500. Please visit the website at for further information or you may send a query in writing to the following e-mail

15. How long can a British national stay in The Bahamas without a visa and what can they do to extend their stay?

A British National is allowed a maximum stay of eight months out of a twelve month period. However, upon entry to The Bahamas, the initial period of stay stamped in the passport would be a time frame of up to twenty-one days. Should they wish to extend their initial period of stay for longer than what is initially granted at the port of entry, an application must be made to the Immigration Department for that extension of stay, up to the maximum time frame of eight months. The applicant must contact the Immigration Dept. (tel: 001 242 322 7531) directly to enquire as to the documents needed for the extension, as each application is individually examined.

15b I do not have a United Kingdom passport and I do not need a visa. How long can I stay in the Bahamas?

Those passport holders who do not require visas to enter the Bahamas would be granted leave to stay for any period of up to four weeks. Should you wish to stay beyond the time of leave granted, you would need to apply for an extension of stay for up to a maximum time frame of eight months. The visitor would need to apply at the Immigration Department, PO Box N-831, Nassau The Bahamas Tel: 001 242 322 7531 Fax: 001 242 326 0977.

16. Does a person who holds a British overseas national passport require a visa to visit The Bahamas?

Please refer to the website for further information.

17. Can a visa application be accepted if it is a fax copy?

Yes, this is acceptable, but only if the application is legible. If the processing visa officer at the time of submission of the application deems the forms to be illegible, the applicant would be required to fill in a new form, which may be downloaded from our website:

18. Can I make application for a visa on behalf of family members or friends outside of the UK?

Only immediate family members (parent, child, spouse or sibling) may make a visa application on someone's behalf.

19. Can I be issued a visa on spot or within a day?

Emergency situations do occur and the Bahamas High Commission attempts to make every effort to respond to these emergencies. Please call to enquire whether your application may be entertained under your extenuating circumstance.

20. Are appointments needed for the visa?

Appointments are not necessary; for those persons who are in transit to another country within 24 hours, appointments may be requested to have the visa processed within the working day (5 hour timeframe - lodged before 12 noon and collected at 5pm). Proof would be requested that you are in transit i.e. airline tickets.
Requests for appointments must be e-mailed to:
Persons, who reside outside the United Kingdom and require visas to enter the Bahamas, may also request to have their visas issued within the 24-hour timeframe.

21. Can a Bahamas visa be issued at the airport on arrival?

Visas are not issued at the airport or the harbour dock; therefore they must be obtained before arrival in The Bahamas.

22. If I am travelling with an adopted child and they do not have a birth certificate or any other documentation what can I do?

The adoption papers with photo identification should be in their possession. If those documents are not available, then a sworn affidavit from a notary public, along with photo identification, would suffice.

23. I want to apply for a visa but there are no blank pages left in the passport what can i do?

One full blank page must be in the passport in order to issue the Bahamas visa. You must therefore renew your passport at the nearest Consulate or Embassy in order to obtain a visa.

24. What are other acceptable forms of photo id besides a passport or driver's licence?


25. What documentation is needed for children to gain entry to The Bahamas who are travelling with persons not their legal guardians or parents?

A letter from the child's parents must be obtained, along with proof of citizenship.

26. How should an individual obtain a visa if they are not resident in Britain?

They should contact the nearest British Consulate or Embassy in their country of residence to obtain the Bahamas visa. Visas cannot be obtained by postal, courier or third party methods for applicants who are not physically present in the UK.

27. If the British consulate cannot assist in issuing visas on our behalf what can be done?

The applicant should travel to a Bahamas Consulate in either one of the following places: London, Port au Prince, Havana, Beijing, Miami, Atlanta, New York, Washington or Ottawa, Canada.

28. If a person is resident in the UK but lives outside of London, is it necessary for applications to be made in person?

Applications may be made through the postal system by special or recorded delivery for those persons who live in the United Kingdom but reside outside of London.

29. Is there any possibility of obtaining a Bahamian visa if the passport holder has no visa for the other country for which they are ticketed?

If the applicant is transiting or travelling to any other country before the visit to The Bahamas, they must obtain visas for that country first (if applicable).

30. Can a courier service or third party be used to lodge an application for a visa?

Yes, provided that the applicant lives in the United Kingdom.

31. Does the visa waiver scheme apply to individuals who are travelling from here via the USA to the Bahamas?

You should check with your ticket salesperson or airline carrier.

32. If someone travels to The Bahamas on a single ticket, intending to leave the country by other means (private yacht, plane etc.) will they be allowed entry and what sort of proof should they have that they intend to leave the country?

You should have in your possession proof that you intend to leave the country by other means; i.e. a letter from the captain of the yacht with docking permission for the Bahamas, or a letter from the captain of the private plane with flight permission, etc.

33. If an airline takes a passenger to The Bahamas who holds an expired passport, will The Bahamas government levy a fine on the airline?

This is ordinarily what happens in this situation. However, security checks are very stringent at the airport nowadays and it is very unlikely that an airline would carry a passenger with an expired passport.

34. Is a visa required to enter The United States from The Bahamas?

You should check with the Embassy of the United States of America to enquire whether or not you would require a visa. Please call them on 020 7499 9000.

35. Are transit visas required even if the national does not leave the airport?

Yes, visas are issued based on the passport one holds in their possession and not duration of stay in The Bahamas.

36. Are visas required for The Bahamas if I am visiting by way of cruise ship ?

All nationals of the following countries require visas to visit The Bahamas by way of cruise ship, regardless of the duration of stay in the Islands: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Belarus, Benin, Bhutan, Bosnia, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo(DRC),  Cote D'ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Rep.), Iraq, Jordan, DPR (North) Korea, Kazakhstan,  Krygyztan, Laos, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Macau (Chinese Ppt.), Madagascar, Mauritania, Micronesia, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Palestine, Philippines, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen.

37. I have a diplomatic or special passport. What documents should I present for my visa application?

Diplomatic and Special passports that require visas should be submitted with two passport photographs, travel itinerary and a Note Verbal from their Consulate/High Commission or Embassy. Diplomatic and Special passports submitted without a Note Verbal must submit all documents that an Ordinary passport holder would submit.

38. Is there a fee charged for diplomatic or special passports?

No, diplomatic and special passports are issued gratis (free) once they are accompanied by a Note Verbal from the relevant Embassy.

39. What if I hold a service passport? Do I need to pay and what documents should I present?

Visas for Service passports are gratis (free); the documentation required is the same as for an ordinary passport.

40. What are my options for obtaining a visa in the absence of a Bahamas consulate or embassy in my country of residence?

In the first instance, you should approach the British Consulate or Embassy in your country of residence to obtain a Bahamas visa. Nationals, who wish to visit The Bahamas and cannot obtain a visa in their country of residence, for whatever purpose, would have to travel to a Bahamas Consulate to obtain the visa in person. Overseas applications by post or courier services would not be accepted. These are located in Atlanta, New York, Washington, Miami, Beijing, Atlanta, Port au Prince, London and Ottawa, Canada. You should contact the Consulates in writing to ascertain the documentation required and procedure involved.

41. I intend to visit The Bahamas by private aircraft or by private vessel; what documentation do i need in order to be landed in the Bahamas?

Travelers to The Bahamas by private aircraft are advised to seek permission from the Civil Aviation Authority at the Nassau International Airport. The telephone contact is 001 242 377 7281. You should ensure that when you contact them you have the following details at hand for reference: details of the aircraft (make and model number), year of the aircraft, call sign of the aircraft, crew and passenger manifest, the arrival and departure details and the airport details of intended landing.

For those persons entering the Bahamas by private vessel, you are advised to have a letter of invitation from the owner of the vessel, along with documentary evidence (docking papers, registration slips etc.) that the vessel would be in The Bahamas at the time of your stay. You may also wish speak with an Immigration Official for further clarification - tel: 001 242 322 7530.

Further information may also be obtained by writing your query to facsimile 020 7499 9937 or by e-mail to

DIRECT TEL: 020 7659 0829
DIRECT FAX: 020 7499 9937

Back to top